Thursday 1 December 2011

The Butcher, The Baker, The Candlestick Maker!



Oh. My. Goodness!  I just made Candles!  I got the idea for making candles in a tea cup from a fellow blogger although now I cannot remember who so sadly I cannot give full credit but rest assured it wasn't my own idea.  I did find this very good tutorial tho for anyone who wants to have a go.  That was a few months ago and I set out on a quest to find pretty teacups and saucers in the thrift stores.  I already had a small bag of wax pellets and some wicks (can you believe for another project years ago that never got done?  AND I shipped the darn things over here!).  Anyhow I found a lovely on-line supplier, Niagara Candle Supplies, they are super efficient and very reasonably priced (I'm sorry but Michael's just doesn't have the range nor can they compete pricewise) and I just ordered a pink dye block and a 2oz bottle of rose fragrance.  It all arrived about two weeks ago and I finally got around to doing it today.


I didn't have a double boiler or the recommended thermometer but I did burn the ass out of the bottom of my milk pan the other day and now it won't sit on the ceramic hob (see photo LOL!), so that and my wok, with a preserve jar lid as a stand, became my double boiler!  I kept a careful eye on the whole thing and had a wet tea towel at the ready in lieu of missing thermometer!



My wicks were a little short for wrapping around a stick to keep upright so again, improvisation here, I sewed a piece of thread through the tip of the wick and tied that to the bamboo stick!  I used a dab of hot glue to keep the metal 'keeper' on the bottom of the cup!

Et voila!  Some of the more seasoned Candlestick Makers may well be clutching their pearls and muttering at my various 'improvisations' however what the heck...it worked for me!

Now I am off to make a pillow or two and some Christmas Stockings, inspired by another favorite blogger (and this time I remember who it was!)  Laters Taters!

6 comments:

  1. For the past two years I've planned on making candles but have yet to find the time. I've got all the supplies but haven't gotten to it. After looking at your tea cup candles I'm even more anxious to get started on some. Maybe I still have time to make some for gifts that don't need to be mailed out. You're turned out lovely. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty tea cup that's now a lovely candle! Happy Tea Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how fun, and your candle turned out very pretty! I have seen them around blogland. The cup you used is gorgeous in pink! I am glad you are enjoying yourself.
    Hugs,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi: What a beautiful tea cup. I have always wanted to know how to make these. Thanks for the instructions. Have a great week. Blessings, Martha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job...would make great hostess gifts! Happy Teatime~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rona,
    nice idea. It looks wonderful and makes a great decoration. Thank you for sharing this idea.
    Best greetings, Johanna

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment; I love to know what you think! Rona x